Poll Managers are the appointed election workers that serve under the Precinct Poll Clerk and assist on Election Day.
A class is required for each election cycle. The purpose of the class is to provide instructions for Poll managers to conduct fair and impartial elections. The goal of poll workers is to provide a positive customer experience for voters, follow and enforce voting procedures, maintain security, and follow the laws. Instruction will help poll workers to perform related duties as assigned.
The Stipend from the State for Primary & General elections and training is $135. ($75 for any subsequent runoff elections)
Poll Managers who already have a retirement account with the SC Public Employee Benefits Authority (PEBA) (SC state, county, municipal, or school current and former employees) will have a deduction for retirement withheld.
**Please note it takes approximately 30-45 days after the election to receive an election stipend.**
Responsibilities of a Poll Worker:
- Must be non-partisan and neutral when working an election.
- Cannot be related to or work for any candidate on the ballot in your assigned precinct and must not campaign for a candidate or issue on the ballot.
- Must be registered to vote in PICKENS County or ANY county in South Carolina. (Not Required for students ages 16-17.)
- South Carolina Statutes require that all poll workers attend mandatory training sessions for each election cycle (approx. 3 hours).
- Assist in the setup of the polling place prior to each election.
- Conduct the election at the assigned precinct beginning at 6 AM and remaining until all closing procedures are completed.
- Duties include voter registration qualification, activating voting machines, giving voting instructions, and maintaining orderly flow at the polling place.
- Must have transportation to and from assigned polling place within a reasonable distance of home.
Include standing, bending, stooping, assisting 1-2 others in lifting voting machines weighing approximately 25 lbs., normal vision and manual/physical dexterity.
How to Apply:
Please read and complete the Election Worker Payroll Packet (Students please submit the Student Application) and submit to our office.
Applications can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to:
Board of Voter Registration & Elections of Pickens County
Attention: Election Analyst
222 McDaniel Ave B-9
Pickens, SC 29671
Notice: Please read all the requirements and understand that by submitting this application, you are applying to be an election worker for elections held in Pickens County, South Carolina. Completing this application does not automatically mean you will be appointed to work any given election. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you understand that the Executive Director of the Board of Voter Registration & Elections will appoint election workers from the pool of applicants as needed.