April 1st 2014 Special Election FAQs

Voters in the Pickens County School District 4 and the City of Easley Ward 4 go to the polls on Tuesday, April 1, 2014.  Below are some of  the most frequently asked questions regarding these elections:

Q. What candidates and/or offices are on the ballot?

A. The candidates and offices on a particular ballot will differ depending on the precinct and districts in which you reside.  To vote in the elections, you must be a registered voter inside the district.  The election districts involved with the April 1st election are School Board District 4 and City of Easley Ward 4.

Pickens County School Board Trustee District 4

Roy Costner
186 Liberty Hwy.
Liberty, SC  29657
864-843-3139 (Home)
864-270-3675 (Cell)
[email protected]
View Filing Documents Here
Filed January 23, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Bob Folkman
200 Loch Lomond Dr
Pickens, SC 29671
864-507-0279 (Home)
864-630-9515 (Cell)
843-509-6514 (Work)
[email protected]
View Filing Documents Here
Filed January 17, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Bonita Thomas Holland
108 Emerald Court
Liberty, SC  29657
865-915-4090 (Cell)
[email protected]
View Filing Documents Here
Filed January 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm
Brian D Swords
142 Orchard Drive
Liberty, SC 29657
864-843-3232 (Home)
864-221-3642 (Cell)
[email protected]
View Filing Documents Here
Filed January 17, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Easley City Council Ward 4
Terry Moore
602 Rampey St
Easley, SC 29640
864-444-2176 (cell)
[email protected]
Date Filed:  December 27, 2013 at Noon
View Filing Documents
Chad Roach
101 Ruth Drive
Easley, SC 29640
864-915-5066 (cell)
864-859-7475 (work)
[email protected]
Date Filed: December 27, 2013 at 3:32pm
View Filing Documents

Q. Are sample ballots available?

A. Yes.

School Board District 4 Special Election

City of Easley Ward 4 Special Election

A very small number of voters live in both School Board District 4 and Easley Ward 4. Their ballots will have both offices on it.

Q. Where do I vote?

A. At the polling place for your assigned precinct. Your precinct and polling place are listed on your new voter registration card. To ensure your polling place hasn’t changed since your card was issued, check your voter registration by clicking here. You may also call the Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission at 864-898-5948 or 864-898-5949.

Pickens County School Board District 4 Precincts and Voting Locations:

127 Skelton-Tri City Baptist Church -1401 Griffin Mill Rd. Easley, SC  29640

128 Rices Creek-Liberty First Baptist Church-403 Edgemont Ave. Liberty, SC  29657

129 West Liberty-Calumet Baptist Church-400 S. Peachtree St. Liberty, SC  29657

130 East Liberty-Eastside Baptist Church 920 Anderson Dr. Liberty, SC  29657

131 Flat Rock-Flat Rock Baptist Church-115 Slab Bridge Rd. Liberty, SC  29657

132 Zion- Emeritus at Countryside-706 Pelzer Hwy. Easley, SC  29642

133 Smith Grove-Smith Grove Baptist Church-1220 Smith Grove Rd. Easley, SC  29640

134 Arial Mill-Arial Mill Baptist Church-618 Rice Rd. Easley, SC  29640

155 North Liberty-Liberty United Methodist Church -310 Mae St. Liberty, SC  29657

156 Pendleton-Grace Baptist Church-930 N. Old Pendleton Rd. Liberty, SC  29657

157 Fruit Mountain-Jones Avenue Baptist Church-614 Ross Ave. Easley, SC  29640

City of Easley Ward 4 Precincts and Polling Places:

134 Arial Mill– Calvary Hill Baptist Church– 501 Rampey Street Easley, SC  29640

136 Simpson – Easley Union Baptist Church – 200 N. Pendleton Street Easley, SC  29640

137 Woodside – Jones Avenue Baptist Church – 614 Ross Avenue Easley, SC  29640

148 McKissick – Calvary Hill Baptist Church – 501 Rampey Street Easley, SC  29640

157 Fruit Mountain –Jones Avenue Baptist Church – 614 Ross Avenue Easley, SC  2964

Q. What hours will the polls be open?

A. Polling places are open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Anyone in line at 7:00 p.m. will be allowed to vote.

Q. What do I need to take with me to the polls to vote?

A. You will be required to show any one of the following items to vote:

When registered voters go to their voting location to vote, they will need to display ONE of five types of photo identification.

•S.C. Driver’s License

•ID Card issued by S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles

•S.C. Voter Registration Card with Photo

•Federal Military ID (includes Veteran’s Benefits Card)

•U.S. Passport

If you already have one of the above photo IDs and are registered to vote, you are all set. Just remember to bring your photo ID with you when you go to vote.

If you don’t have one of the above photo IDs, you can get a SC Voter Registration Card with Photo from your County Voter Registration Office. There is absolutely NO CHARGE for these cards. For Pickens County, the Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission is located inside the County Administration Building (222 McDaniel Ave Suite B-9 Pickens, SC 29671). Our office is open from 8am to 5pm Monday through Friday, and from 7am to 7pm on every election day.

If you have a photo ID, but forgot to bring it to the voting location, you have the following two options:

a) Leave polling place, retrieve Photo ID, return and vote a regular ballot on the machines.

b) Vote a paper provisional ballot at the polling place and present the Photo ID later to county election commission (CEC) no later than provisional ballot hearing. Ballot will NOT count unless voter presents Photo ID by that time. Voter does NOT complete Reasonable Impediment Affidavit.

If you are unable to obtain one of the photo IDs due to a reasonable impediment, you can still vote a paper provisional ballot, which will be counted by the Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission. According to the SC Attorney General, a reasonable impediment is any valid reason, beyond the voter’s control, which created an obstacle to the voter obtaining the necessary Photo ID in order to vote. The law says that if the voter has any of the following “reasonable impediments” to obtaining a photo ID, he may use the non-photo Voter Registration Card, sign an affidavit attesting to voter’s identity and impediment, and cast a paper provisional ballot that will be counted. Reasonable impediments include:

o Religious objection to being photographed

o Lack of transportation

o Disability or illness

o Lack of birth certificate

o Work schedule

o Family responsibilities

o Other reasonable impediment (list if disclosure is not prohibited by state or federal law)

The Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission is required to find this affidavit valid “unless it has grounds to believe the affidavit is false.” Any reason offered by the voter must be accepted. The Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission cannot “second guess” the reason. Also, the voter cannot be required to attend the canvas at the county office.

As long as a voter “does not lie about his or her identity … or about the reason he or she has not obtained a photo ID, the reason that the voter gives must be accepted by the county board, and the ballot must be counted.”

Q. I saw a candidate/member of candidate’s campaign at my polling place talking to voters. Can he do that?

A. Yes, but there are restrictions:

-Inside the polling place: No campaigning is allowed. Candidates may be inside the polling place and talk to voters as long as they are not campaigning, intimidating voters, or interfering with the election process.

-Within 200 feet of an entrance to a polling place: Candidates and campaign staff may campaign as long as they are not intimidating voters or interfering with the election process. However, no campaign literature, signs, or posters are allowed. Candidates are allowed to wear a badge no larger than 4.25″ x 4.25″ featuring only the candidate’s name and office sought. Candidates must remove their badge upon entering a polling place.

-Outside 200 feet of an entrance to a polling place: does not fall under the jurisdiction of the poll clerk or election officials.

Q. A candidate is definitely campaigning while inside the polling place, or there is campaign literature within 200 feet of the entrance to the polling place. What can I do?

A. Inform the poll clerk immediately. If the issue is not resolved, contact the county election commission and inform them of the situation. The election commission will address the complaint.

Q. Can candidates or their representatives take people to the polls to vote?

A. Yes.

Q. When and where will results be reported?

A. Unofficial results will be reported by the Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission on election night at PickensElections.org. Results will be updated several times election night, as the precincts report in. You can also view the unofficial results live as they come in the Auditorium in the Pickens County Administration Facility. The Auditorium will be open beginning at 7:00pm election evening. No campaign literature is allowed inside or within 200ft of the Administration Facility (this includes bumper stickers, signs, t-shirts, buttons, etc.).

Q. When is a recount necessary?

A. When the difference between any candidate declared nominated and any other candidate not declared nominated is 1% or less of the total votes cast for all candidates for that office, a recount is mandatory.

Q. How are winners determined?

A. That depends on the election and office…

For the Pickens County School Board District 4 Trustee election, winners are determined by plurality. Meaning the person with the most votes (even if just by one) wins. A runoff election shall only occur in the event of a tie. All election results are unofficial and subject to correction until certified.

For the City of Easley Ward 4 City Council election, winners are determined by Majority & Runoff (Section 5-15-62):

  • When more than one person is seeking election to a single office, the majority shall be determined by dividing the total votes cast for this particular office, including write-ins, for all candidates by two. Any excess of this sum shall be a majority. (*See NOTE below) The candidate who obtains a majority shall be elected.


  • If no candidate for a single office … receives a majority vote, a runoff election shall be held as follows:

If no candidate for a single office receives a majority of the votes cast in the first election, a second election shall be conducted two weeks later between the two candidates receiving the largest number of votes in the first election who do not withdraw. The candidate receiving a majority of the votes cast in the runoff election shall be elected.

Write-ins are not allowed in these runoff elections. Sections 5-15-62.

Any runoff necessary will be held Tuesday, April 15th 2014.

NOTE: In determining a majority, any excess of a sum is considered a majority. If, after dividing your totals by the appropriate numbers, your sum is a fractional number, you do not round up or round down to a whole number. For example, three candidates are running for Mayor. After the election, there are 1233 total votes cast for this office. Candidate A received 310 votes, candidate B received 617 votes, candidate C received 306 votes. After totaling the votes and dividing by 2, the sum is 616.5. Candidate B would win the election because candidate B received an excess of the majority. Even though the excess is just .5, it is still an excess.

Q. Do employers have to give you time off to vote?

A. No. There is no state or federal law mandating that employers must give time off to employees to cast their vote. Voters who know they will not be able to visit the polls on Election Day should apply to vote absentee before the day of the election.

Q. Are there any laws about candidates posting their signs along the roadway?

A. Yes, there are several state laws addressing political signs on roadways, as well as county and municipal ordinances. See S.C. Code of Laws Sections 57-25-10, 57-25-140, and 7-25-210. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the entity that maintains the road (state, county, or municipality) to enforce applicable sign laws. Please see our campaign signs page for more information.

Q. When I left the polls, I was asked to participate in an “exit poll.” Is this legal?

A. Exit polls are legal and participation is voluntary. They are NOT conducted by the State Election Commission or the county election commissions. Generally, polls may not be conducted inside the polling place, and we ask that voters not be approached before they have voted. If a voter feels threatened or intimidated by a pollster, it should be reported immediately to the precinct’s poll clerk.

Q. Where can I file a complaint about the election?

A. Any complaints regarding the election can be addressed to our office. Call us at 864-898-5948 or 864-898-5949 or send an email to [email protected]