June 12 Primary FAQs

Q. What candidates and/or offices are on the ballot today?

A. The candidates and offices on a particular ballot will differ depending on the primary in which you’re voting (Republican or Democratic), and districts in which you reside. To find out what candidates will appear on your ballot, VIEW THIS PAGE.

Q. Where do I vote?

A. At the polling place in your assigned precinct. Your precinct and polling place are listed on your voter registration card. However, it’s possible your polling place may have changed since the card was issued. To be sure of the location of your polling place: CLICK HERE and check your voter registration record, which includes your precinct and polling place.

Q. What hours will the polls be open?

A. Polling places are open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Anyone in line at 7:00 p.m. will be allowed to vote.

Q. What do I need to take with me to the polls to vote?

A. You will be required to show any one of the following items to vote:
• Voter registration card*
• Driver’s license
• ID card issued by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles
*If you registered by mail, are voting for the first time since that registration, and did not submit a form of identification along with your application; you will be required to show ID at the polls in addition to your voter registration card. Acceptable forms of this additional ID include: a valid photo ID such as a driver’s license or DMV-issued ID card, or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that shows the voter’s name and address in the county.

Q. I’ve lost my voter registration card. Can I still vote?

A. Yes. Voters may also vote with their driver’s license or a DMV issued ID card. Voters may also go to the voter registration office on Election Day and get a duplicate card.

Q. Why can’t I vote in both primaries?

A. State law prohibits voters from voting in more than one party’s primary on the same day. Poll managers will ask voters, “In which party’s primary do you wish to vote today?”

Q. If I voted in one party’s primary, can I vote in the other party’s runoff?

A. No. The runoff is a continuation of the primary. If you voted in a party’s primary, you can vote only in the runoff of the same party. If you were eligible but did not vote in a primary, you can vote in either party’s runoff.

Q. I’ve moved since the last election and haven’t updated by voter registration card. Can I still vote?

A. If the voter…
1. …has moved to another residence within his precinct, he can vote at his polling place but must first fill out a change of address form.
2. …has moved to a different precinct within his county, he is eligible vote a failsafe ballot.
3. …moved to another residence in another county within 30 days of the primary, he is eligible to vote a failsafe ballot.
4. …moved to another residence in another county prior to 30 days before the primary, he is not eligible to vote.
Two Options for Voting Failsafe:
1. The voter may vote at the polling place in his previous precinct using a failsafe ballot.
2. The voter may go to the voter registration office in the county in which he currently resides, change his address, and vote there.

Q. I saw a candidate/member of candidate’s campaign at my polling place talking to voters. Can he do that?

A. Yes, but there are restrictions:
-Inside the polling place: No campaigning is allowed. Candidates may be inside the polling place and talk to voters as long as they are not campaigning, intimidating voters, or interfering with the election process.
-Within 200 feet of an entrance to a polling place: Candidates and campaign staff may campaign as long as they are not intimidating voters or interfering with the election process. However, no campaign literature, signs, or posters are allowed. Candidates are allowed to wear a badge no larger than 4.25” x 4.25” featuring only the candidate’s name and office sought. Candidates must remove their badge upon entering a polling place.
-Outside 200 feet of an entrance to a polling place: does not fall under the jurisdiction of the poll clerk.

Q. A candidate is definitely campaigning while inside the polling place, or there is campaign literature within 200 feet of the entrance. What can I do?

A. Inform the poll clerk immediately. If the issue is not resolved, contact our office (864-898-5948 or 864-898-5949) and inform us of the situation. The election commission will address the complaint. You may also send an email to the Director at [email protected]

Q. Can candidates or their representatives take people to the polls to vote?

A. Yes.

Q. Can a petition candidate or his supporters collect signatures within 200ft of a polling place?

A. Yes. The SC Attorney General has issued an opinion stating they can. Persons wishing to use petitions to get on the ballot in November CAN collect signatures within 200ft of the polling place during the June 12 Primary Elections, provided they:

  • Make no solicitation of signatures inside a polling place (must be done outside the polling place)
  • Restrict solicitation to voters as they leave polling place (not as they enter)
  • Establish the point of solicitation to one side of the flow of voters to and from the polling place
  • Advise the Executive Director of the Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission in advance of their plans to solicit signatures and the precincts in which the solicitation will occur. This way, he will be able to contact and prepare the affected precincts’ poll clerk.
  • No campaign literature (in whatever form, including: signs, buttons, t-shirts, handouts/fliers, cookies) is allowed with 200ft of the polling places.  The petition itself is not campaign literature.
  • Do not interfere with or intimidate citizens entering or leaving the polling place.

Citizens must have the ability to enter the polling place without being harassed or bothered.  No person shall block any sidewalk (or other path) that voters are using to get into or out of the precinct.  Citizens should not be approached as they get in or out of their vehicle.  Citizens who want to enter the voting place, vote, and leave without speaking to anyone must be able to do so.

The Poll Managers and Poll Clerk of each precinct will monitor this process.  Persons acting in violation of the above will be asked to move beyond 200ft of the polling place.

Q. When/where will results be reported?

Unofficial results can be viewed on PickensElections.org after all the precincts have reported in. You can also view the unofficial results live as they come in the Auditorium in the Pickens County Administration Facility. The Auditorium will be open beginning at 7:00pm this evening. No campaign literature is allowed inside or within 200ft of the Administration Facility (this includes bumper stickers, signs, t-shirts, buttons, etc.).

Q. When is a recount necessary?

A. When the difference between any candidate declared nominated and any other candidate not declared nominated is 1% or less of the total votes cast for all candidates for that office, a recount is mandatory.

Q. How is the winner determined in a Primary?

A. A candidate must receive a majority of votes cast for that office to win the primary. In offices with one seat to fill (the vast majority of offices), majority is determined by dividing the total votes cast for the office by two. Any number of votes in excess of that result is a majority. If no candidate has a majority, then the two remaining candidates with the highest number of votes will appear in a runoff two weeks after the date of the primary (June 26, 2012).

Q. How is the winner determined in a runoff?

A. The candidate with the highest number of votes wins.

Q. Do employers have to give you time off to vote?

A. No. There is no state or federal law mandating that employers must give time off to employees to cast their vote. Voters who know they will not be able to visit the polls on Election Day should apply to vote absentee before the day of the election.

Q. Are there any laws about candidates posting their signs along the roadway?

A. Yes, there are several state laws addressing political signs on roadways, as well as county and municipal ordinances. See SC Code of Laws Sections 57-25-10, 57-25-140, and 7-25-210. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the entity that maintains the road (state, county, and municipality) to enforce applicable sign laws. See this page for more information.

Q. When I left the polls, I was asked to participate in an “exit poll.” Is this legal?

A. Exit polls are legal and participation is voluntary. They are NOT conducted by the State Election Commission or the Pickens County Registration & Elections Commission. Generally, polls may not be conducted inside the polling place, and we ask that voters not be approached before they have voted. If a voter feels threatened or intimidated by a pollster, it should be reported immediately to the precinct’s poll clerk.

Q. Can alcoholic beverages be sold on the day of the Primary?

A. Yes. State law only prohibits retail liquor sales on the day of the General Election.

Q. Where can I file a complaint about the election?

A. Any complaints regarding the election can be addressed to our office. You can reach us at 864-898-5948 or 864-898-5949. You may also send an email to the Director at [email protected]