2011 Municipal Election Frequently Asked Questions

Registered voters inside the incorporated city limits of Central, Easley, Liberty, Pickens, and Six Mile will go to the polls on Tuesday, November 8th. Below are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding municipal elections:

Q. Who can vote in the municipal elections today?

A. Every person offering to vote in these Municipal Elections must be both:

  • registered on the County Books of Registration for Pickens County as an elector at least 30-days prior to the election
  • a resident of the municipality for at least thirty days prior to the date of election

Note: Annexations are not valid until the DOJ has pre-cleared them. An annexed area would have to be pre-cleared by the DOJ at least 30-days prior to the election for the registered voters in the area to be eligible to vote in the municipal election.

Q. What candidates and/or offices are on the ballot today?

A. The candidates and offices on a particular ballot will differ depending on the city in which you reside. To find out what candidates will appear on ballots in your city, please view your city’s sample ballot here.

Q. Where do I vote?

A. At the polling place in your assigned precinct. A complete list of all our precincts and voting locations is here.

Q. What hours will the polls be open?

A. Polling places are open 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Anyone in line at 7:00 p.m. will be allowed to vote.

Q. What do I need to take with me to the polls to vote?

A. You will be required to show any one of the following items to vote:

•Voter registration card*
•Driver’s license
•ID card issued by the S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles

*If you registered by mail, are voting for the first time since registering, and did not include identification with your application; you will not be allowed to vote with only your voter registration card. You must complete the voter registration process by providing one of the following IDs: Either a valid photo ID such as a driver’s license or DMV-issued ID card; or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address in the county.

Q. I’ve lost my voter registration card. Can I still vote?

A. Yes. Voters may also vote with their driver’s license or a DMV issued ID card. Voters may also get a replacement card from our office.

Q. I saw a candidate/member of candidate’s campaign at my polling place talking to voters. Can he do that?

A. Yes, but there are restrictions:

-Inside the polling place: No campaigning is allowed. Candidates may be inside the polling place and talk to voters as long as they are not campaigning, intimidating voters, or interfering with the election process.

-Within 200 feet of an entrance to a polling place: Candidates and campaign staff may campaign as long as they are not intimidating voters or interfering with the election process. However, no campaign literature, signs, or posters are allowed. Candidates are allowed to wear a badge no larger than 4.25″ x 4.25″ featuring only the candidate’s name and office sought. Candidates must remove their badge upon entering a polling place.

-Outside 200 feet of an entrance to a polling place: does not fall under the jurisdiction of the poll clerk.

Q. A candidate is definitely campaigning while in the polling place, or there is campaign literature within 200 feet of the entrance. What can I do?

A. Inform the poll clerk immediately. If the issue is not resolved, contact our office and inform us of the situation. We will address the complaint.

Q. Can candidates or their representatives take people to the polls to vote?

A. Yes.

Q. When and where will results be reported?

A. You can view the unofficial results live as they are reported in the Auditorium of the Pickens County Administration Building (222 McDaniel Ave Pickens, SC 29671).  You can also view the election results on our website, pickenselections.org, after all precincts have reported in.

Q. When is a recount necessary?

A. When the difference between any candidate declared nominated and any other candidate not declared nominated is 1% or less of the total votes cast for all candidates for that office, a recount is mandatory.

Q. Do employers have to give you time off to vote?

A. No. There is no state or federal law mandating that employers must give time off to employees to cast their vote. Voters who know they will not be able to visit the polls on Election Day should apply to vote absentee before the day of the election.

Q. Are there any laws about candidates posting their signs along the roadway?

A. Yes, there are several state laws addressing political signs on roadways, as well as county and municipal ordinances. See S.C. Code of Laws Sections 57-25-10, 57-25-140, and 7-25-210. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of the entity that maintains the road (state, county, or municipality) to enforce applicable sign laws.  Please see our campaign signs page for more information.

Q. When I left the polls, I was asked to participate in an “exit poll.” Is this legal?

A. Exit polls are legal and participation is voluntary. They are NOT conducted by the State Election Commission or the county election commissions. Generally, polls may not be conducted inside the polling place, and we ask that voters not be approached before they have voted. If a voter feels threatened or intimidated by a pollster, it should be reported immediately to the precinct’s poll clerk.

Q. Where can I file a complaint about the election?

A. Any complaints regarding the election can be addressed to our office.  Call us at 864-898-5948 or 864-898-5949 or send an email to [email protected].